Monday, September 16, 2013

The European Concert - Brahms; Haydn; Beethoven



A Superb Performance!
I don't often feel compelled to write a review after viewing a video presentation. But after listening to this concert, I was left no choice. The sound quality was superb throughout. Gautier Capucon and his cello sounded like they were sitting in my living room. His performance was mesmerizing.

I have heard Beethoven's Fifth hundreds of times, but never quite like this version. Gustavo Dudamel's interpretation brought a freshness that gave new life to this old war horse. I must also praise the fine camera work that added much to my enjoyment. I will be recommending this DVD to all my classical music friends.

Beautiful Orchestration!
This is an extraordinarily beautiful concert!
Gustavo Dudamel's conducting stance at Brahms's 'Variations on a theme by Joseph Haydn' and Beethoven's 5th symphony are extraordinary.
And there is this young man-Gautier Capucon. The way he plays Haydn's cello concerto is absolutely charming.
On the whole, this is a real beautiful concert.

Mostly "war horse" music, very well played
First off, I have to admit the Berlin Philharmonic is probably one of the two or three orchestras I enjoy watching. Their playing is full of life and it's exciting to watch the player's physicality - it makes for great entertainment to a one-time orchestral player to see players actually move to the music. Gustavo Dudamel has a long-standing relationship with The Berlin Philharmonic and it was obvious both he and the orchestra are very comfortable with each other. The Brahms was just right - economical but lush in all the right places. This Haydn cello concerto performance is one of the most likable I've witnessed - not really "Romantic" but definitely not classically delicate. Capucon's playing is precise and his cadenzas virtuosic - a terrific performance. And the Beethoven was just right - having heard Dudamel's Beethoven with the LA Philharmonic, I felt like I was listening to an old friend - he does a terrific fifth, and this was no exception. This program was...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment